Back in 2002, I tried my hand at writing a lesbian love story. It was… not great. Now, almost 17 years later, I wanted to give myself an experiment and re-write the first chapter to see what I would do differently and… well, I already ran into a roadblock. I don’t draw the way I did 17 years ago. So I attempted to try and re-design both Patty and Nadia to fit my current drawing sensibilities. I made Nadia a bit more athletic, gave her a side buzz, and emphasized her height difference. For Patty I kept her pink overalls, but gave her a flannel shirt underneath, made her hair less anime, and gave her freckles all over her body instead of just a couple flecks on her cheeks. I changed their facial structures a bit to be less “same-face” (as I was known to do back then), adjusted their skin tones to be slightly different, and used photo reference to get their poses down. I wanted to give Nadia a bit of a smokey eye, but that just never quite looked right. Overall, this was an interesting experiment. My drawing style and sensibilities have greatly changed in 17 years. The color pallet is a lot less garish, they dont have the same face and body proportions, and I know a lot more about how clothing works now. I don’t know if I will continue with this experiment or not, but if I do I know that the format of the comic itself would vastly change as well. I don’t think I would do them as individual chapters, or even as standard comic pages.
So we’ll see if this goes anywhere.
Categories: Amaya's Pins